A Listening Ear.

 




Compassion is a helpful quality in many professions; however, when you think about commercial real estate, compassion may not come to mind. 

Let me tell you a story.

I was recently asked to visit with a potential seller to discuss a property they were considering putting on the market. Prior to our meeting, I had been briefed on the situation, did some preliminary research, and felt confident I would get the listing and make the sale.

When I arrived, the prospect had a different idea. She had just lost her husband, who, according to her, was the face of the business. The conversation centered mostly around the man her husband was, what he meant to her, how much she missed him, and everything he had poured into their business.

This woman was looking for a friendly ear, so I listened. How could I not?

Towards the end of our visit, we did transition to why I was there and got down to the business of it all. I left with the hope that I was able to provide her with good, dependable information that would be helpful in sorting things out.

No matter how motivated WE are for a sale, lending a listening, compassionate ear to someone who wants to talk about their loved one is always in style.

Will I ever do any business with this person? Who knows, and it really doesn't matter. I left there feeling like I had accomplished a lot more than making a sale... Hopefully, I lifted someone up for a few minutes.

So, the next time you are tempted to blow by an opportunity to help someone, I would implore you to stop and take a bit of time and let someone just talk. It can be beneficial for both of you.

All The Best To You, 

Brad Neihouser

765-427-5052 | bneihouser@shook.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prospecting: The Thoughtful Way

I DON'T NEED NO STINKING TITLE COMMITMENT!