Before The Bodies Are Cold



Selling farm real estate can be a fascinating yet challenging endeavor.

I've often remarked that farm properties usually go on the market due to the "two D's": death and divorce. Many times, I am called to a family's home after the parents have passed away, and the family is undecided about how to move forward.

Typically, some siblings want to keep the farm, while others prefer to sell and cash out. Both opinions are valid as everyone's motivation is different. However, those two motivations could not be more polar opposites.

Most of the time, parents have not done an excellent job of estate planning and have just kicked the can down the road, and they say that the kids will handle it after we are gone.

Yes, the kids will handle it all right, but probably not in the way that parents envisioned.

I have heard countless times from heirs that their parents would roll over in their graves if they knew what was happening now.

One story in particular brings out this point. 

A while back, I was called to visit a family with a farm they recently inherited… what could go wrong?

As I walked into the room, I could tell there was tension, but everyone seemed to have the same goal of selling the farm.

After some small talk, I asked when their father had passed away. To my astonishment, they replied, "His funeral is next Tuesday." I was stunned. Here they were, barely days after their father's passing, already discussing how to divide the estate.

Sadly, this scenario is not uncommon. My role often involves navigating these emotionally charged situations, striving to maintain peace among the siblings to facilitate the sale.

If you know of someone in this situation who needs some solid advice, have them give me a call.  765 427 5052

-Brad Neihouser

765-427-5052 | bneihouser@shook.com

P.S. If you do not want your children to have to divide your estates before your funeral, consider having a family meeting. You can find a blog on my family's family meeting here.

Cut Through The Noise. Get Staightforward Advice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Listening Ear.

A Commercial Building Sale from Soup to Nuts

Prospecting: The Thoughtful Way